Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cajun

I don't know how you all feel about Cajun food, but I absolutely love it. I mean, not the meat part, but the spices they use in it. So tonight I tried out my first Cajun beans and rice meal. And it turned out FANTASTIC!! I did use beef kielbasa in it because Erik enjoys meat every once in a while, but you could easily not put it in or substitute it for a lot of things. So this is what I did....

I put 1 cup of pinto beans, dash of olive oil and 1/2 of an onion in a pressure cooker with 2 bay leaves and a dash of thyme and cooked them for about 30 min. After they we're done I put the stuff plus the kielbasa in a big skillet. Then added the following spices till the taste was just right: Cayenne pepper 1/4+tsp, Chili pepper dash or so, Thyme 1/2tsp+, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Paprika, Parsley, Salt and Pepper. And sauteed for awhile. After it was done I put it on top of some nice fluffy rice.  YUMMO!

And so the story goes, that I shall never buy boxed Jambalaya or Cajun style food again.
O and I forgot to take a picture..

So, here's a picture of some Liousinna oak trees, its so beautiful down there. Sigh.



No comments: